Welcome to the Southport Historical Society website!
The Southport Historical Society is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization registered under 501(c)(3) of Internal Revenue Code dedicated to bring together persons interested in local area history. SHS endeavors to do so by providing opportunities for learning through programs and special events; published articles and books; educational classes; and community projects that will both enhance and preserve the unique history and heritage of Southport and the surrounding area.
The Southport Historical Society was organized in 1976 to preserve and interpret the unique history of Southport, North Carolina. Some of the programs initiated and supported by the society are:
- Sponsoring the annual Christmas Tour of Homes on the second Saturday each December.
- Identifying and installing plaques on historic buildings and properties.
- Making available for firings our replica of an 1841 six-pound cannon.
- Assisting in genealogical research.
- Conducting local history classes.
- Conducting lectures and special tours for school groups and other organizations and individuals.
- Providing visitor information and a self-guided tour brochure available at the Southport Visitors Center.
- Presenting lectures on historical topics.
- Recording history through oral and video interviews.
- Participating in NC State Regional Historic Site programs.
- Preserving and maintaining the “Old Jail” and other historic buildings.
- Identifying and protecting old Southport cemeteries.
- Encouraging and promoting the establishment of a Historic Preservation Commission.
- Publishing and sale of books related to local history.
- Publication of our newsletter, The Whittler’s Bench.
We invite you to browse through our website to read a brief history of our charming seaside town, see our list of publications, check out our special events and meetings and perhaps decide to support us with your membership.